Shared substrings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I still don't like the current practice of allowing START and END
parameters to almost every procedures, since this encourage a bad
programming style. If you need the performance of shared substrings,
you should use a Scheme implementation which have that, or write
your programs in C instead, IMHO.

However, I have a compromise idea. Instead of the optional START and
END parameters, allow using a list '(s start end) instead of the string
parameter. In this case, I think that procedures returning an index
should return an index to the substring, not to the whole string. Then
you can store and use a substrings easily. Then we can also get rid of
the "low-level" argument parsing stuff.

--
* You have just read a message from Mikael Ståldal.              *