Re: shared-text substrings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Dan Bornstein <danfuzz@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I know it's not hard scientific evidence, but at the company I currently
> work for, we have a Scheme-based engine generating web pages, which uses
> string-append in a fairly naive but straightforward way. It was way too
> slow, and that slowness was largely accounted for by time taken up in
> string-append.

For what it's worth, I have a little Scheme-based html generation
program (don't we all :) that suffered from this very problem.
I ended up dropping string-append completely.  I built a tree of
strings, opened output to the target file, and just walked the tree
with `display'.

Perhaps this is what you meant by implementing string-append/shared
at a higher level.  That's pretty high, though.

Mike

--
Mike Wilson    cmwilson@xxxxxxxxxx    Debian GNU/Linux!
senseitachi wa boku wo  fuan ni suru kedo