Re: shared-text substrings

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 13 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 13 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Olin>    From: sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Olin> I believe a specifically shared-text substring library is a valuable thing,
Olin> and should be designed and made into a SRFI. But remember that most Schemes
Olin> today do not provide shared-text substrings, so as soon as you start coding
Olin> to this API, you punt portability.

That's why I suggested a separate SRFI.  Scheme systems can choose not
so support it.

Olin>    On the other hand, *optional* shard-text substrings make for very difficult
Olin>    debugging, especially if your base implementation does not support them.

Olin> No it doesn't. Programmers do not have to use the shared-text-allowed
Olin> routines, ever. There are pure-copying alternatives for every
Olin> shared-text-allowed routine. So you can avoid using them except in the
Olin> cases where you know it's worth it, or there's a clear-cut opportunity
Olin> for optimisation that can be exploited by essentially annotating your
Olin> calls with the shared-text-allowed tag.

But I may be *wrong* seeing an opportunity for optimization where in
fact there is none.  A Scheme system without shared-text substrings
will obscure the bug.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike