Re: one last issue - non-capturing

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 03:27:19AM +0900, Alex Shinn wrote:
> Currently we don't define any utility procedures
> for manipulating SREs, and its use is analogous
> to e.g. w/nocase, for which the same argument
> holds, so for consistency the syntax made more
> sense.

Of course.  After I sent the mail, this occurred to me too :)

> > I like that idea.  I always found it rather confusing
> > that names were _also_ numbers.
>
> This, however, is how PCRE and most other
> libraries work.  I thought it was ubiquitous but
> apparently .NET did the right (?) thing and broke
> with tradition here.
>
> If we did use .NET semantics, SREs would no
> longer simply be an alternate syntax for PCREs,

I think you're completely right about both things.  I didn't
know that PCRE did named submatches like this (didn't even
know it had them at all :P).

Cheers,
Peter
--