Re: english names for symbolic SREs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 7:05 AM, John Cowan <cowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alex Shinn scripsit:

> The real question is not whether you think other people will use them.
> The question is, do you personally intend to use the long names?

Well, that question puts me in a cleft stick.  For a long time to come,
I'll be writing SRFI code, which means I'll need to make it as portable
as possible -- and that means sticking to the existing scsh/irregex
core, if I use regular expressions at all.

If portability were not an issue, say a few months down
the line when IrRegex and SCSH are patched to support
the long names, would you use them?

Or would anyone else here use them?

I repeat, if the only reason people want this is because
they think someone _else_ might want it, it's just cluttering
the spec.

--
Alex