Re: regexp and valid-sre?

On 11/26/2013 10:19 AM, John Cowan wrote:
Michael Montague scripsit:

I propose dropping the requirement that 'regexp' can be called with
an already compiled <re>. It provides no additional functionality
and it makes the specification of 'regexp' less clear.
It provides the ability to compile repeatedly used parts of regular
expressions.  In a context where a large number of regular expressions
are in use that have factors in common, this can save a good deal of
time and possibly space.