Re: regexp and valid-sre?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 115 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 115 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Michael Montague scripsit:

> I don't think that these are strong arguments for having
> 'valid-sre?'. An implementation for which compiling is expensive,
> could easily internally do the "is it valid"-type check before
> compiling. Having it in the interface adds no functionality that is
> not already easily available.

It tells the compiler only to syntax-check and not go on to actually
compile.  This is a very common feature in compilers: for example,
in gcc the -fsyntax-only option activates this mode.  Sometimes
all you want to know at present is whether something is syntactically valid.

--
"Repeat this until 'update-mounts -v' shows no updates.         John Cowan
You may well have to log in to particular machines, hunt down   cowan@xxxxxxxx