Re: regexp and valid-sre?

Michael Montague scripsit:

> I don't think that these are strong arguments for having
> 'valid-sre?'. An implementation for which compiling is expensive,
> could easily internally do the "is it valid"-type check before
> compiling. Having it in the interface adds no functionality that is
> not already easily available.

It tells the compiler only to syntax-check and not go on to actually
compile.  This is a very common feature in compilers: for example,
in gcc the -fsyntax-only option activates this mode.  Sometimes
all you want to know at present is whether something is syntactically valid.

--
"Repeat this until 'update-mounts -v' shows no updates.         John Cowan
You may well have to log in to particular machines, hunt down   cowan@xxxxxxxx