Re: Have one-argument '<? et al function as 'make<? et al

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 114 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 114 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Alan Manuel Gloria scripsit:

> This is a rather SRFI-105-centric proposal, but I'd like to propose
> that, if '<? and friends are given a single comparator argument, it
> return a function predicate:

I don't understand why this proposal in any way benefits SRFI 105-based
code.  Can you explain further?

> Admittedly, it's possible to just use 'make<? and friends if we're
> going to use SRFI-105 anyway, but it seems clearer to use <? if
> SRFI-105 is something to support.

I don't see why.  The idea of <? and friends is that they are generalizations
of < and friends (also string<? and friends, etc.); that is, they are
predicates.  Rather than having the function be either a predicate or
a predicate-maker, my idea is to separate the two purposes, so that
in one case we always get a boolean result, in the other case a procedure.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan