Re: [Scheme-reports] R7RS-large comparators

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 114 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 114 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

The world has many useful partial orders.  However, clarity is greatly
aided by the programmer being able to express their expectation that a
particular set of interest in fact forms a total order.  I therefore
think it is not unreasonable for a programming language to have two
different operations that are like "less than" -- one for total order
comparison, which signals a condition or otherwise does something
extraordinary if given two incomparable objects, and another for
partial order comparison, which always returns normally but is free to
return one of four objects (which themselves form a natural partial
order) to indicate "equal", "less", "greater", or "incomparable".

Under this view, I suggest that SRFI 114 concern itself with total
orders only; perhaps it would be appropriate to propose another SRFI
for partial orders.  Doing so should be very interesting: Among other
subtleties, in general partial orders meet and join are not max and
min; and in particular, may not always exist, or may exist but not be
unique, or may exist and be unique but be considerably more expensive
to compute than comparison.  So it becomes reasonable to make a
distinction between partial orders and lattices (and also
semi-lattices, which have one of meet or join but not the other);
whereas every total order is a lattice.

~Alexey

P.S.  Unfortunately, the mathematical tradition uses the same symbol
for both total and partial comparison, and Scheme has not yet
standardized a generic dispatch facility that could be used to
disambiguate by the types of the arguments.  So the putative partial
order comparisons SRFI would have to choose whether to use an ugly
notation right off, or walk right into naming collisions and rely on
(programmers and) the module system to fix them.