Re: Hashtable related APIs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 113 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 113 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Takashi Kato scripsit:

> I've noticed that the Index contains hashtable related APIs however
> there is no description for them.

They are just cut and paste errors: they should say "set-union",
"set-intersection", etc.

> whey it's using 'hash-table' instead of 'hashtable' which is official
> name for R6RS?

Because it's a silly name.  The term has always been "hash table";
only Java (and C# which cloned Java) and R6RS use "hashtable", which
in English looks like "hasht-able" with the suffix "-able" added to a
nonexistent verb "hasht".

Early drafts of R6RS used "hash table", but it was changed
for compatibility with "bytevector" when Art Gleckler suggested
<http://www.r6rs.org/formal-comments/comment-215.txt> that "byte-vector"
would be better.  We are stuck with "bytevector" now, but there are
still a lot of programs using SRFI 69 and "hash-table".

See my pre-SRFI proposal for extended hash table procedures at
<http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/HashTablesCowan>.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@xxxxxxxx
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side