Re: [scheme-reports-wg2] Closing SRFI-112 and voting on it for R7RS-large

I abstain.

On the one hand, I think we need something, and that's better than nothing.

On the other hand, I think SRFI-112 is insufficiently adequate, though
a good start.

For instance, implementing ASDF (for Common Lisp), what I really
needed is some kind
of ABI-identifier so I may segregate compiled files. The provided
information does not allow to infer that: ABI may change because
you're linking to a different libc, using a different C++ compiler,
using a different compiler implementation strategy, etc. These are not
captured by any of the above elements.

Also, some standardization is often useful in the specific values to
be returned, e.g. "Linux" vs "linux", or "i386" vs "x86" vs "i686" vs
"pentium", or "arm" vs "ARM" vs "armv5te" vs whatever. I'm not saying
things should necessarily be specified in detail in the standard
(especially since they change), but the standard may explicitly
recommend that values be returned in accordance to some other
documents, websites, standard bodies, etc.

Finally, I was expecting the equivalent of getenv to be provided,
maybe setenv too, on operating systems that have it (i.e. everyone
that matters today), returning trivial #f on other systems.

I don't know that it makes sense to make a counter-proposal, which
would be meaningless unless actually widely implemented anyway. If
it's only half as hard getting Scheme implementations to agree as it
is to get Common Lisp implementations to agree, it's already too much
work for me.

I admit I've grown distant and disillusioned with the entire process,
and I only apologize for not doing more, but I don't see things going
anywhere good at any good pace.

Evolution competitively selects stable cooperative patterns.