ADMIN: Aborting vote on SRFI-112 as part of R7RS-large

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 112 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 112 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Due to cogent, though not very timely, objections to the form of SRFI
112, I have posted a new draft and I am aborting the vote.  Sorry, folks;
I'm still feeling my way into this novel process.

The new draft of SRFI 112 is now posted.  I have renamed the confusing
system-instance procedure to the semantically transparent machine-name,
and removed c-memory-model altogether in anticipation of a later package
for determining the C memory model at run time.  Because I want people
to be able to consider the new draft carefully, and because of other
commitments I have, I'm postponing the new vote to August 12th, ending
at noon UTC on August 19th.  I have updated the WG2Calendar.

If you have new suggestions, please offer them before August 12th.
It's important to remember that this is a *logging* API, whose procedures
return strings intended for human consumption.  Taking conditional action
based on the value returned by one of these procedures is not recommended,
and any procedure that returns a value meant to be further examined or
manipulated by a program doesn't belong here.  For example, a procedure
to return the working directory wouldn't fit, as programs would expect to
use that in order to find files.  For some suggestions that have already
been offered and will be looked at later, see MiscEnvironmentSchudy.

Existing votes will not be invalidated, but of course people can change
their votes if they want.

--
"Why yes, I'm ten percent Jewish on my manager's side."      John Cowan
    --Connie Francis                         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan