Re: Names, c-memory-model, etc.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 112 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 112 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Devon Schudy scripsit:

> Is it too late for comments?

I've requested finalization, but the editors have not yet granted it,
so I'm sending them a new draft meeting your points.

> The meaning of system-instance is not obvious from its name. I suspect
> this is because "system" suggests "operating system", not "host", and
> "instance" doesn't indicate that it's the *name* of the host. How
> about something containing "name", such as machine-name or
> machine-hostname or host-name or hostname?

I've changed this to machine-name.  I didn't do sufficient analysis
of the Common Lisp names before proposing the SRFI.

> I'm guessing os-type is supposed to return a human-readable name of
> the OS ("Mac OS X", "Linux", "Microsoft Windows Vista", "Plan 9 from
> Bell Labs") rather than a short machine-readable name of the OS family
> ("unix", "windows"), since the latter is covered better by (features).
> In that case, it would be clearer to call it os-name. This would also
> make os-{name,version} consistent with implementation-{name,version}.

+1.  Changed.

> What's the intended use of c-memory-model?

Most of your specific arguments are irrelevant, because this is a logging
API, not a discrimination API.  But they convince me that there should
be a separate run-time API that lets you discover the memory model
for discrimination.  We have already had complaints about the memory
model cond-expand features, because compilers that output C typically
don't know the memory model at compile time.  So I've removed
c-memory-model from the SRFI.

> Other environment inquiries that might be worth including:

These are for discrimination or computation rather than logging,
and so don't fit into this SRFI, but should find a place in other
SRFIs.  I've copied them to the wiki as MiscEnvironmentSchudy.

The new version is temporarily at <http://ccil.org/~cowan/temp/srfi-112.html>.
I've fixed a bunch of embarrassing typos, too.

--
Is not a patron, my Lord [Chesterfield],        John Cowan
one who looks with unconcern on a man           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan