Re: (c-memory-model) and more

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 112 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 112 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Christian Stigen Larsen scripsit:

> I think you should add example return values for the (c-memory-model)
> procedure.  The ones in R7RS, appendix B, should do: ilp32, lp64, ilp64,
> etc.

Remember that this is primarily a reporting/logging API, so there's no
reason to standardize what it outputs.  If you want to conditionalize your
code on the C memory model, you should be using `cond-expand`.

> Not a big deal, but is "memory model" the correct term to use?  It looks
> like the terms (64-bit) "data model" and "programming model" are more common
> and give better web searches.

All these terms are heavily overloaded.

> I would also like to know what you think about more types of queries.  Why
> not include some single-valued stuff from the sysconf, sysctl, /proc and
> /sys facilities on Linux/BSD systems?

Well, sysconf is a Posix standard, and I'll look at that.  But there is
nothing standardized about /proc or /sys (sysctl just retrieves stuff in
the /proc/sys directory) and there are literally thousands of entries.
On my 32-bit Linux system, /proc and /sys, even excluding the transient
/proc/<pid> and /proc/self subtrees, have almost 4500 files.  This is the
large language, but not the enormous language!

> E.g., on a multi-threaded implementation I'd like to know how many CPU cores
> I've got to distribute my workload on.

Alas, that does not seem to be a standardized sysconf variable.

> There are many things that would be great to know that are quite trivial to
> get on most systems.  I could make a list of suggestions, if anyone are
> interested.

Please do.  Don't forget to take Windows into account.

> I've implemented SRFI-112 in Mickey:
> https://github.com/cslarsen/mickey-scheme/blob/master/lib/srfi/srfi-112.scm

Great!

--
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            http://ccil.org/~cowan