[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Why forbid ! in whitespace-only line?
- To: dwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Why forbid ! in whitespace-only line?
- From: David Vanderson <david.vanderson@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 20:51:56 -0400
- Cc: srfi-110 <srfi-110@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Delivered-to: srfi-110@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc :subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=G7iLpFj0PyYd879NkpQzxGm0l+l89xRddgO+XuzQ3qY=; b=WU0KMvKbOj3Q9oa/gjJDpWYz3IKmesr9CHZ2hlDqb4wDSSVGBrhFaNrbPv9z54wfNw 5okx6YepTIdtIiTGIvyai/HcW6UsyhUtvvKalGQWZs/TJSIzul12Haso0Xk+gOtpKGkp y/vP/A2Ze00Dl0wmi3BfMOqHfj+ZFbXLmJbaIp8oLU4ibmc92zuYJNDwNZ/jKBfW80Jq 2UXIL3wusZRy1TETTqxHwe5XMwSQLLIb4bJuDOxHPwqXXM64jsVwbfw7g0CK9Vb5iGq0 1xsPB5a9i4nMz7y07vrRPpuSE/VJ77LCxL5suz9r4tYffu80ehoTkjWy+a+w5n4VojMz C2kg==
- In-reply-to: <E1UY1vc-0004yM-Pr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- References: <E1UY1vc-0004yM-Pr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130308 Thunderbird/17.0.4
On 05/02/2013 06:24 PM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
I'm for it, but I'm not sure whether indentation matching should be
Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin <cben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
let ((foo bar(x)))
! do stuff
! more stuff
In any case, I didn't find this discussed in the rationale.
But you're right, we could interpret lines with only "!", space, and tab as "ignored lines" instead (or ignored only if their indents match). From a code point of view, it'd be trivial if lines with at least one "!", and ONLY "!", space, and tab, were treated as "ignore this line"... then we could reuse how it handles line-comment-only lines.
Thoughts? I think that would be an easy change.
--- David A. Wheeler
let outer ((foo bar(x)))
! let inner ((y z))
! ! do stuff
! ! ...
! ! more stuff
! ! ...
In this case, is "more stuff" a child of "inner" or "outer"? Even in
the first example, having a space after the ! on the blank line would
throw off the indentation, right?
I think I've convinced myself that indentation should NOT be enforced.