Why forbid ! in whitespace-only line?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 110 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 110 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

"""
1. If an end-of-line sequence immediately follows the indentation and the indentation length is nonzero:
 a. If the indentation contains â!â, it is an error; an implementation SHOULD reject it.
"""

Why error rather than allowing it as either ignored or terminating line?
I can see how punting the question "is ! empty" simplifies the spec, but it may be a missed opportunity.

Once you prefix a block with !, it seems to me there is no reason to additionally require a comment â "! ;" (or other workarounds) â to express ignored vertical whitespace.
Isn't this the cleanest thing possible:

define long-func(x)
 let ((foo bar(x)))
 ! do stuff
 ! ...
 !
 ! more stuff
 ! ...

In any case, I didn't find this discussed in the rationale.

--
Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin