Re: Should we MAY a "curly-write" and "neoteric-write"? Or even "sweet-write"?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 110 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 110 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Mark H Weaver:
> Such procedures would have to include very complicated heuristics to
> decide when to use traditional s-expressions, when to use curly-infix,
> when to use neoteric, etc.  The heuristics would have to make
> assumptions based on the symbol names.  Personally, I think it would be
> very hard to produce good output.

A fair concern.  For sweet-expressions it *is* complicated, because it's basically a pretty-printer.  Which is why I think we should NOT have a "sweet-write" in this SRFI, as that is probably best handled separately.  (Pretty-printers are *already* handled separately today, for all the same reasons.)

But I think curly-write and neoteric-write aren't too bad.  They do not need to be "perfect" in the sense that a human would do the same thing, they just need to be pleasant to use and provide a quick way to write info.  If someone wants a different display, he can write his own procedure.  I don't think we need to specify exactly what these writers do, just that they have to produce a representation of the object according to the notation.  All of these statements are *already* true for "write", e.g., nobody mandates the characters that "(write (quote x))" produces.

Of course we *do* need to provide a sample implementation, and they should be useful.  However, I already have simple heuristics that I think work pretty well for neoteric expressions.  Try this in order:

1. Represent a list as (...elements...) if there are 16+ elements, none of which are a pair.  (These are "boring lists" because they're unlikely to represent procedure calls.)

2. Represent a list x as {...} infix if it:
* Begins with a symbol that is ONLY punctuation or one of '(and or xor)
* AND it's a proper list of length 3..6 or less

3. Otherwise, represent a list x as f{...} if:
* Begins with a symbol, its cdr is a (proper) list of length 1 (1 param)
* cadr(x) is a list
* The cadr(x) meets the infix requirements above, but length is 2..6.

4. Otherwise, represent a list as f(...) if:
* Begins with a symbol

5. Otherwise represent a list as (...elements...)

6. Represent the rest normally.

Curly-infix can start with the infix rule, and once inside switch to the neoteric rule.

--- David A. Wheeler