Re: OT: Formatting Lisp code from the command line

John Cowan <cowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Mark H Weaver scripsit:
>
>> The line-up approach assumes fixed-width fonts, yes, but I don't see the
>> relevance of non-ASCII chars or encodings.  Existing free fixed-width
>> fonts support a great many languages.
>
> In any case, the line-up approach is relevant only to s-expressions,
> not to t-expressions, where the approach is definitely based on spaces
> and tabs only.

I don't understand why you say this.  Consider:

  (operator operand-1
            operand-2
            operand-3)
=>
  operator operand-1
           operand-2
           operand-3

Okay, so sweet expressions allow us to get rid of many parentheses.
That doesn't mean that we should throw away the nice vertical-stack
formatting that most Schemers are accustomed to.  This question of which
column to indent to is orthogonal to the s-exprs vs t-exprs question:

  (operator operand-1
    operand-2
    operand-3)
=>