Comments on SRFI 109

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 109 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 109 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Just a few small comments:

As usual, I favor the XML-style syntax.

I'm not sure that the user-defined tokens add enough benefit.  In any
case, "!" is a valid identifier start character, so the format you give
conflicts with SRFI 108.

The standard XML names of character entities
(as opposed to the *built-in* names) can be found at
<http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007/w3centities-f.ent>.  This is the
result of consolidating MathML, HTML, and ISO sets.  The names for [ ] { }
are lbrack, rbrack, lbrace, rbrace, and I suggest these be required.
The other names in this list, at least the ones that only represent a
single codepoint, should be recommended to implementers.

I think the full Scheme expressions (template processing) are appropriate.
I would leave the formats and i18n for a later SRFI.  Reordering arguments
is an i18n requirement even if there is no format string; in any case, R7RS
will almost certainly standardize format combinators instead of strings.

--
John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@xxxxxxxx
We want more school houses and less jails; more books and less arsenals;