Re: socket-port

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 106 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 106 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: Takashi Kato <ktakashi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: socket-port
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:03:24 +0200

> I simply didn't consider non-R6RS implementations but if socket-ports
> returns 2 ports how could it be safely implemented? If the ports share
> the same socket descriptor then closing one port might cause SIGPIPE
> or something on the other port. (Might be too much detail but just
> popped up in my mind.)

Your logic is correct, so, in Gauche, closing one of the socket ports
does not close the socket descriptor (it does mark the Scheme-level
port structure as 'closed', and it does flush the output port).

I think returning a bidirectional port make things simpler.  Trade-off
is adoption of this srfi by implementations that doesn't have
bidirectional ports.  I'm ambivalent now; it's not hard to add
bidirectional ports to Gauche (and if R7RS-large defines it, I sure will.)
So I don't object the current spec as is.  But I wonder what other
implementors do.

BTW, it hits me that the srfi may need to describe what happens to a
socket when you close the socket port, and what happens to a socket
port when the socket is closed.

--shiro