Re: Do we NEED a marker at all?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 105 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 105 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Here's my thought.

Suggesting #!srfi-105 marker doesn't mean you should mark every file
that uses srfi-105 with the marker.  Some implementations may support
srfi-105 by default, and interpret {} as curly-infix notation without
the marker.  If you *know* you use such implementations then you don't
need to bother to mark up your code by #!srfi-105 at all.

However, some other implementations may need to switch interpretation
of {} file-by-file basis.  Such implementation would add its own
extension to the switch.  Gauche will for sure, and for the backward
compatibility, srfi-105 mode won't be the default, at least for
a while (because I know some production code relies on the current
interpretation of {} in Gauche).

So, isn't it better that such implementations use the same marker,
instead of having different markers?  Then, if you wish your code
to be extremely portable out-of-box, you add #!srfi-105 marker for
extra safety.  Of course, you can still distribute your code without
the marker and just say "my code using srfi-105, please turn on the
extension if you run it on an implementation that doesn't support
it by default."

If srfi-105 doesn't suggest the marker at all, the latter would be
the only choice.  I think it is better to have another option.