Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 105 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 105 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

John Cowan:
> If you go from three layers (c-exprs, n-exprs, sweet-exprs) to just two
> (c-exprs that may contain n-exprs, sweet-exprs), then you don't need a
> separate name for n-exprs.

You don't need a separate *spec*, true.  So it would be a lot less visible.

But it's still useful to have a *name* for this notation that accepts f(x):
* Inside curly-infix you'd have a sequence of zero or more *neoteric* expressions, since inside the {...} you would have different rules than the "outside"
* In sweet-expressions, you have indented lines, and each line contains sequences of, well, something.  The way we've expressed them is that the lines contain 0 or more neoteric-expressions (we don't allow indentation WITHIN a line to matter).

That said, if that happened, "neoteric-expression" would primarily be used as a name to help carefully define other constructs, as opposed to a name you'd see often outside that context.  And that's just fine; giving names to things, to make an overall definition clear and concise, is a good thing.

--- David A. Wheeler