Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 105 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 105 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Shiro Kawai <shiro@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Alan Manuel Gloria <almkglor@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: SRFI 105: Curly-infix-expressions
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:14:11 +0800
>
>> Dunno.  But one major use of curly-infix in my own code is
>> with comparison operators like > < =
>>
>> WAAY back in kindergarten my teachers taught me to view
>>> as a mouth.  The mouth wants to eat the bigger thing, so
>> it faces the bigger thing.  If it's >, the bigger thing is on the
>> left, while if it's <, the bigger thing is on the right.
>
> That's a good argument.  I do prefer comparison ops infix.
>
>> We want to reserve the "{" and "}" symbols now for curly-infix,
>> and the community can vote with its feet (i.e. by using or
>> not using particular `nfx` implementations) on what precedence
>> system to use.
>
> Layering is a good idea.  If we take this approach, we can
> make responsibilities for each step more clearly separated;
> that is, one layer simply maps {a b c} to (nfx a b c), and
> another layer specifies the default behavior of nfx macro,
> which implements 0, 1, 2-ary and simple C-expr cases.
> Those don't need to be separate srfis; just multiple layers.
>
> Putting responsibility of transformation solely on a macro
> may have some benefits:
>
> - The current way of nfx specification seems like an ad-hoc
>   escape exit.

The way the current spec is done allows for code like the
following:

(define {a // b}
  {(unwrap-par-monad a) parallel (unwrap-par-monad b)})

If {a // b} => (nfx a // b), then it becomes a redefinition of
nfx as a function, rather than an intended definition of
//

Also:

(define-syntax o
  (syntax-rules ()
    ({a o b}
      (lambda (x) (b (a x))))
    ({a o b o rest o ...}
     {{a o b} o rest o ...})))

Again, this takes advantage of the fact that
{a o b o rest o ...} means (o a b rest ...)

Sincerely,
AmkG