re: rationale for no encoding

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM, R. Kent Dybvig <dyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Before this is put to bed, I wonder if a rationale should be given for
> why, in the end, there's no encoding for identifiers that don't map
> cleanly to file names.

Adding a rationale sounds good, but maybe challenging to convey
succinctly.  Based on the reasons I'm remembering, I'm thinking of
adding something like the following to the Design section:

This SRFI does not specify any special handling of library names which
do not map cleanly to file names, so that characters with special
file-system meaning may be intentionally used for such meaning in
library names, and because, in addition to the characters disallowed
in Windows file names, the case-insensitivity of some file systems
requires an excessively complex design to achieve comprehensive
special handling of all the issues pertaining to mapping all possible
library names to portable file names.

Feedback is welcome.