Re: a problem with terminology

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I also dislike the conflation of the term "path" to mean both those
things.  I would like neither to use the term "path", but I used it
because it seemed conventional.

The current draft actually uses the term "search paths" (note the
plural) to mean its list of searched directories.  Prior versions of
this SRFI used the suffix "PATHS" (note the plural) for the environment
variable's name, but I was pressured into changing it to the
conventional "PATH" suffix.  I used plural "paths" because it's
consistent with the nature of a sense-2 thing being multiple sense-1
things which I was calling "path".

I'll gladly use better terms.  I like the term "list of searched
directories" for a sense-2 thing.  I don't think I like "file name" for
a sense-1 thing because such a thing can be a directory, but I like
"file/directory name".  Unfortunately, I suppose the environment
variable's name should continue to have the "PATH" suffix, otherwise
some people will freak-out :-)

(JTMI, I think Unixoid PATH should have been named
EXECUTABLE_SEARCH_LIST or something like that.  But that would not be
bizarrely truncated in true Unix/C tradition...)

--
: Derick