Re: upcoming revision, need feedback

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 15:56 +0200, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> Derick Eddington wrote:

> > Ugh.  The Microsoft page [1] about what characters to avoid does not say
> > that #\~ is treated specially.  Should #\~ be added to the encoded set?
> >
> > [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx
>
> It is described in the "Short vs. Long Names" section. Basically every
> filename that does not fit into 8.3 naming scheme has an 8.3 alias,
> typically in the form of XXXXXX~N.XXX. The exact rules for making that
> alias are file-system dependent though [1].
>
> So yes, to avoid conflicts you need to escape ~.

I read that section but didn't pause long enough to realize it does
indeed imply that #\~ is treated specially and so conflicts are
possible.  I'll add #\~ to the encoded set.

> >> FWIW, using non-ascii symbols in source files is widely considered bad
> >> manners in my culture. So while I do recognize value in not needing to
> >> encode these symbols, I won't complain much about the discrimination.
> >
> > Well, I think that's an unfortunate consequence of archaic poor
> > English-only designs, and your culture should take advantage of modern
> > character freedom :)
>
> Well, you see, there is only that much of audience for ÐÐÑÐ ÐÐÑÑÐÑÑÐÐ
> Scheme, and while (ÐÐÑÐÐÐ ÐÐÑÑÐ) is an awesome library I'm afraid you
> won't enjoy using it.

I see your point.  Though, I still think people should be able to
program in their native language, and renaming wrapper libraries can be
used to make it accessible to other cultures:

  (library (chain mail)
    (export (rename (ÑÐÐÐ-ÐÐÐÐÐÐÑ spam-everyone)))
    (import (ÐÐÑÐÐÐ ÐÐÑÑÐ)))

--
: Derick