compiled files [was: SRFI-59, SLIB, and SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH]

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 are here. Eventually, the entire history will be moved there, including any new messages.

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 22:45 -0400, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
> SLIB's library system allows compiled files (with the same base-name)
> to be loaded in preference to source files.  The words "compiled" and
> "binary" don't appear in SRFI-103.  Shouldn't compiled files be
> supported?

Compiled files certainly need to be supportable by implementations which
support this SRFI.  I think compiled files are beyond the scope of this
SRFI, because implementations are assumed to extend/modify this SRFI's
conventions for how they find files for compiled versions of files named
according to this SRFI, and they should have the freedom to have
different designs for how compiled files are organized and accomplished,
and so this SRFI does not need to and should not mention compiled files.
If enough implementors think this SRFI should involve compiled files,
and if they explain how they think it should be and all agree, I'll add
it.

--
: Derick