Re: SRFI-59, SLIB, and SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 103 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 103 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:
SRFI-59 and SLIB use the environment variable SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH to
configure their single Scheme-source library directory. If SRFI-103
appropriates SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH for its use, it will cause SRFI-59
and SLIB supporting implementations (of which there are many) to fail.

I'm not sure there is a conflict in practice if this SRFI uses the name
SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH since the intersection of users/implementations that
use both R6RS and SLIB is practically 0.0.

Larceny supports both SLIB and R6RS.

I have both a number of R5RS implementations with SLIB, and a few R6RS
implementations installed at the same time; and this is not that rare.

The whole idea of using "SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH" is to say where your
Scheme files are.

SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH in this SRFI only specifies where R6RS libraries
are. If R^NRS libraries (for some N > 6) will not be compatible, you'll
end up with the same kind of conflict.