Re: Keeping the version in filenames

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:23 +0300, Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:
> So, I'm now totally confused about what the real problem that
> you're trying to solve.

I think it all comes down to supporting version constraints in library
references.  Without special version components in library names, it's
not possible (reasonably) to have a library reference support specifying
a set of acceptable versions.  To support a special version component,
and to support files for multiple versions of a library coexisting in
the same directory, and to support one-to-one mapping file names to
library names, library file names need the special version component in
them.

> > I think putting any part of the version in the last symbol (or any
> > symbol) is going against the purpose of compound library names.
>
> I disagree.  I did object to the final draft of R6RS when it
> renamed the libraries from (r6rs *) to (rnrs * (6)) and I did
> list the reasons for why, but no one listened.  I'm too lazy
> to look it up now.

I'd like to read that if it has points you haven't said here.  Do you
remember what year and month?  r6rs-discuss, right?

--
: Derick