Re: add procedure decons

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 101 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 101 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Arthur Smyles wrote:
You currently have a private procedure named ra:car+cdr. It's proven useful by
the fact that you use it to implement car, cdr, caar, etc. I think that this would be
useful for other types of deconstructions of con cells and would like to see it made public. Secondly, I suggest calling it decons.

The implementation of car and cdr are likely to change because cdr may allocate, while car never does. The current implementation in terms of car+cdr means that car may allocate even though it does need to.

Now, that's not to say car+cdr (a name which has precedent in SRFI 1) is not useful. I just don't think you've motivated it sufficiently, so I'm not convinced it needs to go into the specification.

David