Re: To quote or not to quote, that is the question

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 101 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 101 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

From: David Van Horn <dvanhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: To quote or not to quote, that is the question
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:48:56 -0400

> Robby Findler wrote:
> > I'm not sure about the conclusion, but you can (in a module), do that
> > kind of lifting in a PLT macro. Search for "lifts" in the docs.
>
> Thanks!  That's useful to know; if `quote' is added I can factor out an
> implementation-specific reference implementation for that and provide a
> portable R6RS implementation of the rest.  (It's also good to know for
> my RaList planet package).
>
> Do other Schemes provide ways of defining quote-like forms?

SRFI-10 could be used to introduce literals for user-defined
types.  Chicken, Gauche, Guile and STklos support it, AFAIK.

Unfortunatley it has some issues, though: (1) The notation (#,)
conflicts with R6RS.  (2) The semantics of read-time evaluation
is rather defined in ad-hoc way, and it isn't clear what
context the constructor is evaluated.  (3) Macro expansion comes
after read-time evaluation, so there's no way to write a macro
that generates #,-form, etc.

--shiro