proposal: make-list

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 101 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 101 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Random-access lists are often used as functional vectors, hence vector-like constructors may be useful. In particular, a random-access version of `make-list' can construct lists represented in a very space efficient manner, O(log n), thanks to sharing. I propose the following be added to SRFI 101. I'm on the fence about whether the unary `make-list' is useful, though. Comments welcome.

David

(make-list k)            procedure
(make-list k fill)       procedure

Returns a newly allocated list of k elements. If a second argument is given, then each element is initialized to fill. Otherwise the initial contents of each element is unspecified.