Improper lists [Was: SRFI-1 round 3 discussion]

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 1 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 1 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Sergei> I think that the whole idea of "robustness" (meaning don't break under
Sergei> any circumstances) is not in a Scheme tradition: after all these years
Sergei> spent trying to convince programmers that (car '()) is an error,
Sergei> we are back to (length "abc") => 0. Since "improper list" is synonymous
Sergei> to "any object" (anything or a pair = anything), we will end up with a
Sergei> list library that accepts (and often produces) nonsensical data.

I agree with Sergei.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike