The names .IOTA and IOTA.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 1 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 1 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

        Under the formal syntax in the R5RS standard, .IOTA is not a legal
identifier because the dot character is neither a letter nor a special
initial and so cannot appear at the beginning of an identifier (except for
the special identifier ...).

        Since many Scheme programmers use a punctuation character at the
beginning or end of an identifier as conventional but non-standard
indications of some special status (? for predicates, ! for mutators, * for
top-level variables with non-procedure values, % for helper procedures or
for higher-order procedures, etc.), library procedures should avoid such
names anyway.

        I'd rather have Doug Evans's IOTA and write something like
(LIST-TABULATE COUNT ADD1) instead of (IOTA. COUNT) when I want a one-based
list.

--
======  John David Stone - Lecturer in Computer Science and Philosophy  =====
==============  Manager of the Mathematics Local-Area Network  ==============