SRFI1: 90 days to discuss 89 procedures?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 1 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 1 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

This is a revised version of comments I posted on comp.lang.scheme:

General comment:

0) I believe this proposal is too large (89 procedures!) to be adopted
in a short time frame dictated by SRFI rules with the amount of
discussion it deserves; it can be split onto several separate SRFIs
based on usage patterns (destructive versions vs. non-destructive
vesions, list functions vs. a-list functions etc.)

Procedures:

1) I think that MAKE-LIST should not allow the 'fill'
argument to be left out; at least, the default value
should be unspecified as in MAKE-VECTOR and MAKE-STRING
(choice of #f seems a little random to me).

2) .IOTA is not a legal identifier according to R5RS (even if it were legal,
both names look very strange for average Schemer). Definitions of both .IOTA
and IOTA. demonstrate a new and strange approach to "optional" arguments:
one-argument version is an abbreviation for two-argument version without
first argument! If generality is the goal, we can have three-argument
(IOTA from to step); if we need shortcuts, we can have both
(IOTA0 n) ==  (IOTA 0 n 1) and (IOTA1 n) == (IOTA 1 (+ n 1) 1)
If you cannot remember the arguments to a function, there's sometning
wrong with its design...

3) Since the RFI already contains synonyms
(ALIST-DELETE == DEL-ASS), I believe that both
CONS* and LIST* should be included as synonyms. Both
names are equally popular in existing implementations;
we can have them both with a rationale that LIST*
may suggest to the reader that the result is a proper list,
while CONS* may suggest that the result could be an
improper list.

4) I don't think that FIRST ... TENTH deserve library status: they
suggest one-based indexing (everything else uses 0-based indexing);
most useful half of them are just synonyms to standard CxxRs; we
already have standard LIST-REF for list indexing; even simplest
list-destructuring facility is much more convenient as a means of
getting access to list elements.

5) TAKE and DROP demonstrate a new and very unusual approach to
indexing; I couldn't find any Lisp/functional/other language that
uses negative indices to mean 'count from tail' (Icon?)

This approach can be potentially dangerous because
it hides popular "off by 1" errors around 0 instead of
signalling them at run-time; I also think it adds confusion
(this is demonstrated, for example, by the fact that the
original description contains typos: instead of
'If I <= 0, TAKE returns the last  I elements of LIST'
it should say
'If I <= 0, TAKE returns the last -I elements of LIST'
etc.)

I would prefer to see (SUBLIST list start end) which
is both generic and quite natural, and (LIST-HEAD list k)
to complement existing (LIST-TAIL list k).

6) UNZIP1 is missing although it no less useful than other
procedures of the UNZIP family:

(unzip1 '((1) (2) (3))) => (1 2 3)

7) I would like to have APPEND-REVERSE{!} instead of
REVERSE-APPEND{!} for two reasons: 1) I think that
APPEND-REVERSE is easier to remember visually
(APPEND-REVERSE x y) == (APPEND (REVERSE x) y)
(APPEND-MAP{!} has the same property)
and 2) APPEND-REVERSE is the name used in at
least one implementation (T)

8) I prefer having TAIL- prefix for procedures working with
consecutive cdrs of a list; PAIR- prefix does not have this "CDR"
sound (PAIR-FOR-EACH may be a better name for tree browsing
procedure)

9) A far as I know, MzScheme, Bigloo, CL and possibly Chez
Scheme use REMOVE to name a procedure that returns
a list with all elements equal? to its first argument
removed. SLIB also follows this usage; it is also
described in the first edition of "The Scheme
Programming Language".

I suggest the following naming scheme:

(remove object list [=?]) ;=? defaults to equal?
(remq object list)
(remv object list)
(remove-if predicate list)

This scheme can be used for membership predicates as well:

(member object list [=?]) ;=? defaults to equal?, 2-arg version is standard
(memq object list) ;standard
(memv object list) ;standard
(member-if predicate list)

.. and for other procedures:

(find object list [=?]) ;returns #f or object from the list; =? defaults to
equal?

(assoc key alist [=?]) ;= defaults to equal?, 2-arg version is standard
(assq key alist) ;standard
(assv key alist) ;standard

(I would prefer to keep the name 'ASS' reserved for future use :)

If lists are used as sequences, it is important to be able to calculate
element positions:

(position object list [=]) ;returns 0-based index or #f; = defaults to
equal?,
(posq object list) ;same as (position object list eq?)
(posv object list) ;same as (position object list eqv?)

etc.

I would also left unspecified the behavior of procedures accepting
equivalence
predicates [=] when given non-commutative procedures; when in doubt, one can
always use -IF variants.

10) I would like to have ORMAP as synonym (or the only name) to ANY and
ANDMAP
as synonym to EVERY; for me it was easier to use single "formal" ORMAP than
to remember
which one of several equally "natural" ANY, SOME, THERE-EXISTS etc. is
implemented.

Sergei Egorov,
esl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx